Monday, September 14, 2009

Signs of Fall

Chestnuts on the ground

These are actually, I think, châtaigne (horse chestnuts), which are not edible. Rowan and Niamh love collecting them, though we'll have to be careful this year because of Little Miss Eat-Everything-Including-Cigarette-Butts. The chestnuts that are sold roasted at stands are marron. I have not seen any of the edible variety around yet (roasted or chocolate), but it shouldn't be too long. Hooray! It also won't be too long until the chestnut festival in Fully. We've never been, I hope we can go this year.

5 comments:

  1. In Milan, where I grew up, there are lots of large "mad chestnut" trees, as we call them (their correct botanical name in Italian etymologically means horse chestnut trees, as I just now realized), and my memories of back to school time are linked to "mad chestnut" (fun) fights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photo! I've never noticed these on the ground in the northwest....either they aren't native here, or I'm not paying enough attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a look here, for crafting with horse chestnuts:
    http://louettom.blogspot.com/2009/09/janes-corner-view.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! Always. You have such a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful photo!
    how lovely to have chestnuts all around, my grandfather roasted chestnuts on his woodstove each year at christmas. i will never forget the taste and memories!

    ReplyDelete