Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Homestudy

Some of you have already heard this news or read about it on other blogs, but I thought I should share with everyone.

We are thinking of adopting 1 or 2 children in the not too distant future and one of the first steps is to have a social worker come visit to see if we are fit to adopt. It seems like a strange concept because I would think everyone would be on their best behavior during the visit. Anyway, living in Switzerland makes things a bit difficult. A US qualified social worker came from Germany on a Saturday and left Sunday morning. She asked for copies of a bunch of documents and asked a few questions. It seems like the entire thing could have been done in a couple of hours and that she didn't really need to stay overnight. In fact, she mentioned that she has done multiple home studies on one day in the past.

She did make a comment along the lines of Rowan and I being a bit too interested in trains and that she knows that lots of people enjoy watching model trains go in circles, but she thinks it is weird.

We are working on getting all of the paperwork in order and have to go to Geneva on Thursday to get fingerprinted. I had to go to Geneva last week to get the forms (expect another blog entry) and now we have to go to the Geneva police station to get the actual finger prints.

2 comments:

  1. You really needed someone to come from Germany to tell you that you're weird for your train obsession? I could've sent you an email... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a social worker myself, I would like to say that I find her comment a bit judgemental. Besides, it is not like you are addicted to heroin. As far as obsessions go, trains are pretty benign.

    ReplyDelete